About Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium
Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium (PDZA) is the only combined zoo and aquarium in the Pacific Northwest. The 29-acre zoological park is the No. 2 tourist destination in Pierce County, second only to Mount Rainier and attracts over 600,000 visitors a year. The Zoo sits within 700-acre Point Defiance Park, offering spectacular views of Mount Rainier, the Olympic Mountains and Puget Sound. PDZA is operated by the Tacoma Metropolitan Park District.
Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium promotes and practices effective conservation on behalf of the world's wildlife.
We envision a world where people and wildlife share the Earth in harmony.
In living out the Mission and Vision of Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium, we value:
- The Living Collection: We are committed to providing the highest level of care to the wildlife ambassadors entrusted to us.
- Learning: We connect people to nature through unique educational experiences that engage their minds, touch their hearts and move them to embrace responsible stewardship.
- Conservation: We support and participate in initiatives that protect and save wildlife and wild places.
- Science: We actively seek knowledge about wildlife and human behaviors that strengthens all aspects of our organization and mission.
- Sustainability: We are stewards of the Earth by actively conserving resources and minimizing our ecological footprint.
- Community: We aspire to enrich the lives of the people in our community.
- Financial Stability: We manage our resources in ways that inspire trust and demonstrate accountability to the community.
- Innovation: We embrace a creative and entrepreneurial approach to exhibitry, programming, conservation and customer service.
- Staff: We are committed to the continuous development of our skilled and professional family of employees.
- Active Living: We connect people with nature by providing unique, healthy recreational experiences.
- Fun: We provide joyful and entertaining experiences in a stunningly beautiful outdoor setting.